The need for an endowment at Saint Mark’s was realized by the church leaders in the 1800’s as the parish grew in size and responsibility to the growing city of Minneapolis.

Inez Bergquist

Historic Benefactors of Saint Mark's Cathedral

The need for an endowment at Saint Mark’s was realized by the church leaders in the 1800’s as the parish grew in size and responsibility to the growing city of Minneapolis.

Saint Mark’s vestry member Hector Baxter (1894-1934) proposed an endowment fund in 1894 to support both the church and its social work outreach. He wrote, “St. Mark’s is situated at the threshold of the busy life of this growing city and is thereby summoned to the needs of this down-town community.” (Rood, St. Mark’s) This held true for rector the Rev. Thomas Bucklin Wells’ wife, Annie Jonas Wells, and the women of Saint Mark’s “ladies work”, the Nichols Mother’s Club, which carried on Annie Wells’ vision, at the previous locations of Saint Mark’s and the current location on Loring Park. Those entities formed the foundation of what was to become the Wells Memorial.

In the early days of the parish and city, it was Germans, Scandinavians, and Eastern Europeans who were in need of language and social services-which were supplied in part by the Wells Memorial, one of many settlement houses in the late 19th and early 20th centuries, and now the Wells Foundation. Today, they are Somalian, East African, and Hmong, among others, and the Minneapolis School System has over 200 different languages and cultures represented. The faces have changed, but not the needs.

On construction of the new church in 1910 in Loring Park, the Rev. James Edward Freeman gave impetus to the endowment project, gathering gifts large and small, and it has grown through the years. The contributions benefited Saint Mark’s , the Diocese (now The Episcopal Church in Minnesota) and Wells Memorial, as well as other historically Episcopal organizations such as St. Mary’s Hall, Shattuck School, St. Barnabas Hospital, and Episcopal Church Homes.

We are no less at the crossroads of the busy city and those in need as in Annie Wells’, Baxter’s and Freeman’s day-and no less responsible for spiritual and material needs for others as well as ourselves.

While we contemplate our spiritual and social needs, the needs for maintenance of the church buildings, and that of the local community, and staff to accommodate all of the above, it may be valuable to step back and discover those in the history of Saint Mark’s who have made the building and our programs possible, to show the Body of Christ to the world.

The stories listed in the following pages outline past benefactors to Saint Mark’s Cathedral.

Inez Bergquist
Generations, Chair
Saint Mark's Cathedral
February 2016

Clive Talbot Jaffray

(1865-1956)

Jaffray Trust

Clive Talbot Jaffray Photograph courtesy of Special Collections, Hennepin County Library

Clive Talbot Jaffray (1865-1956), a native of Ontario, Canada, was CEO of the First National Bank and Soo Line Railroad, and originator of the Jaffray Trust.

Clive T. Jaffray started his business career at the Merchants Bank of Canada in Waterloo, Ontario in 1880, and in 1885 joined his brother Robert in Chicago in the publishing business. In 1887 he moved to Minneapolis to join the Northwestern National Bank, and in 1891, after several years as manager, became board chair. He was President of First Bank Stock Co., and director of the Minnesota and Ontario Paper Co., Minneapolis St. Paul and Sault St. Marie Railroad, American Radiator Co., Electric Machinery Mfg. Co., Twin City Rapid Transit Co., Northwestern National Life Insurance, Northwestern Fire and Marine Insurance Co., Pillsbury Mills Inc., Title Insurance Co., and Osborne-McMillan Elevator Co. Jaffray was also a member of the Chicago Club, Minneapolis Club, Minikahda Club, and Woodhill Country Club.

Clive married Madeleine Palmer (1862-1954), with whom he had three sons: Clive Palmer Jaffray (1892-1971) and twins Frank Burton Jaffray and Walter Frederick Jaffray.

Madeleine Palmer Jaffray Photograph courtesy of Special Collections, Hennepin County Library

In 1914, Clive T. Jaffray’s son Clive Palmer Jaffray formed a partnership with Harry Piper Sr. and, briefly, R.G. Hopwood, to form Piper Jaffray and Hopwood, later Piper Jaffray Inc.

Clive Palmer Jaffray attended the Hotchkiss School, and he and Harry Piper were classmates at Yale. Originally a paper shop, Piper Jaffray expanded to investment banking and brokerage. During their active years, they financed many firms in Minneapolis such as Munsingwear, Cream of Wheat, Minneapolis-Moline Co., Archer Daniels Midland, Pillsbury Co., and the Greyhound Co.

In addition to serving as a governor of the New York Stock Exchange, Clive Palmer Jaffray belonged to the Minneapolis Club, Minikahda Club and Woodhill Country Club. He married Mary Vigelius Freeman in 1914. They had three sons; Clive Palmer Jaffray, Jr., Harriet Jaffray Pratt, and James Freeman Jaffray.

The Jaffray family has been an integral part of the early years of Saint Mark's. In the 1920s the “Wednesday Club” of Saint Mark's provided and furnished the “Jaffray Chapel” at Saint Mark's, in memory of Mary Freeman Jaffray (1891-1923). She was the first wife of Clive Palmer Jaffray and the daughter of Rev. James Edward Freeman. Dr. Freeman had been installed by Bishop Edsall as Rector of Saint Mark's in 1910; and it was Freeman who oversaw the construction of Saint Mark's on its current site by Loring Park. 

Today the “Jaffray Chapel” (with its beautiful east-facing stained glass windows) is now being used as our library. In the 1950s it was where Sunday School children held their own brief worship services before going to their Sunday School rooms, which were located around what is now the choir’s rehearsal hall before our new educational wing was added in 1961.

Sources:

Special Collections, Hennepin County Library
Book of Minnesota Family Trees, by Inez Bergquist
Minneapolis History Collection, Hennepin County Library
David Christopherson
Saint Mark's Archives and Linda Schelin

Charles Medbury Harrington

(1855-1928)

Harrington Trust

Charles Medbury Harrington Photograph courtesy of Special Collections, Hennepin County Library

The Harrington Trust is the largest of the trust funds of which Saint Mark's is a beneficiary. Charles Harrington was a pioneer grain merchant and president of the Van Dusen Harrington Co. A native of New Berlin, New York, Harrington came to Rochester, Minnesota in 1871 as a telegraph operator for the Northwestern Railroad. In Rochester, he met G.W. Van Dusen, who hired him for his grain business; and in 1889 they organized the Van Dusen-Harrington Co., where Harrington was President. In 1928 the firm was sold to the F.H. Peavey Co.

Harrington helped organize the Minneapolis Chamber of Commerce and became its President. He belonged to the Minneapolis Commercial Club, YMCA, and Minneapolis Athletic Club. He was also a charter member of the Minikahda Club and chair of the Lafayette Club.

St. Mark’s Church was his primary interest. An active leader at Saint Mark's, Harrington was junior warden for 17 years and senior warden for 17 years at Saint Mark's Cathedral. His family home at 2540 Park Avenue was given to the Shriners, who used it for many years, and it is now part of St. Mary’s University. His charitable gifts, a staggering $1.5 million in 1928 out of a total $3 million estate, were given in memory of his late wife, Grace Ross Harrington (1854-1919).

His daughter, Laura Belle Harrington, Mrs. Walter G. Hudson, donated a stained glass window at Saint Mark's, (second window from the altar in the East Aisle) in their memory.

Dr. Phillips Osgood, rector of Saint Mark’s, mentioned in an article in the Minneapolis Journal on April 5, 1928 that the bequests for Sheltering Arms and St. Barnabas Hospital (now St. Barnabas Apartments) would enable expansion of the services provided by those two organizations. He also mentioned that the gifts to Saint Mark’s would be used for “regular church work and maintenance.”

Harrington provided extensive funds for Episcopal related agencies, including the Diocese of Minnesota for $50,000; and Shattuck School, Seabury and St. Mary’s Hall in Faribault, which shared in a trust fund of $125,000 to be administered through the Minneapolis Foundation.

Other funds were $100,000 to Saint Mark's, $200,000 to St. Barnabas Hospital, $200,000 to Sheltering Arms, and $200,000 to “The Domestic and Foreign Missionary Society of the Protestant Episcopal Church in the United States of America,” the legal name of the Episcopal Church in the U.S.

Wells Memorial received one half of the residue of his estate.

An extensive list of other charities in Harrington’s bequest include Home for Children and Aged Women, Minneapolis Society of Fine Arts, and the YMCA in New York “for foreign work.”

Sources:

Special Collections, Hennepin County Library
Minneapolis Journal, March 27, 1928
Minneapolis Journal, April 6, 1928
Minneapolis Journal, April 4, 1928
Saint Mark's Archives and Linda Schelin

Walter D. Boutell

(1864-1930)

Boutell Trust

Walter D. Boutell Photograph courtesy of Special Collections, Hennepin County Library

The Boutell Trust was a gift from William T. Boutell, a furniture dealer in Minneapolis and contemporary of George Draper Dayton of the Dayton’s Department Store.

The Boutell Brothers Inc. was started by Walter’s father, P.D. Boutell, who brought the family from Shrewsbury, Massachusetts, and managed later by Walter and his brothers William T. and John E. Boutell. Early locations for the store were “lower Nicollet and lower Hennepin” Avenues, according to his obituary in the Minneapolis Journal of September 26, 1930, and later at Marquette and Fifth Street. In 1928 the company merged with the Des Moines, Iowa firm of S. Davidson and Bros.

Walter was a director of the Northwestern National Bank (later Norwest Bank, now Wells Fargo), the Minnesota Loan and Trust Co., Northwest Retail Furniture Association. He was also an investor in Montana oil fields and mines in the western U.S.

Boutell was a member of Hennepin Avenue United Methodist Church, Interlachen Club, Minneapolis Golf and Automobile Club, Minneapolis Athletic Club. He was active with many charities, as evidenced by his extensive bequests.

In 1930 upon his death, his generous charitable bequests in the estate, which totaled $1 million, included gifts to Boutell Co. employees, and $10,000 each the YMCA, YWCA, Star of Bethlehem homes (now defunct), Hennepin Avenue Methodist, and the University of Minnesota (for scholarships).

The Minneapolis Foundation received $400,000, one half of the income of which would be used for benefits such as “summer outings for poor children and their mothers.”

The other half was to be used by an extensive list of charities as follows: Asbury Hospital (now part of United Hospitals) and St. Barnabas Hospital; the Visiting Nurses Association; Little Sisters of the Poor, Infant Welfare Association, Children’s Protective Society (later Children’s Home Society, now part of Lutheran Social Service), Family Welfare Association, Salvation Army, Bethany Home Association, Zuhrah Temple of the Shrine, Elks Lodge, Hennepin Columbus Home Association, Knights of Columbus, Jewish Sheltering Home for Children, Unity Settlement Association, Pillsbury Settlement House, Northeast Neighborhood House, and “rectors, wardens and vestrymen of Saint Mark's church for the benefit of Wells Memorial home.”

Another separate bequest of $20,000 was given to the Minneapolis Foundation for the benefit of the Boy Scouts.

Boutell was survived by his wife, Clara B. Boutell, and he made the major provision in his estate for her and their children, as well as brothers, a sister, sisters in law, nephews, nieces, and cousins.

Sources:

Special Collections, Hennepin County Library
Minneapolis Journal, October 1, 1930

Frederick Brown Wells

(1873-1953)

Frederick Wells Trust

Frederick Brown Wells Photograph courtesy of Special Collections, Hennepin County Library

The Frederick Wells Fund is a trust fund given to Saint Mark's by Mary Drew Peavey Wells and Frederick Brown Wells, who was the son of Saint Mark's rector the Rev. Thomas Bucklin Wells and Annie Elizabeth Jonas Wells. The Wells family originally came from England in 1635 and settled in Ipswich, Massachusetts.

Mary was a member of the Peavey Co. grain family, which has since merged with Conagra. Their children were Frederick Brown Wells Jr., Mary Peavey Wells, Mrs. Loring M. Staples, Frank Hutchison Wells, and the Rev. Thomas Bucklin Wells.

The Rev. Thomas B. Wells was rector of Saint Mark's church—now Saint Mark's Cathedral—in the 1880s, and it was his wife, Annie Elizabeth Jonas Wells, who started what was to be known as the Wells Memorial, now Wells Foundation. More information on the history of Wells Memorial can be found at www.Wellsfound.org/history.

Frederick Brown Wells was president of the F.H. Peavey Co. and the Globe Elevator Co. Born in Menton, France, April 21, 1873, son of the Rev. Thomas B. Wells and Annie Jonas Wells, he attended public schools in Minneapolis, the University of Minnesota and the Sheffield Scientific School at Yale University (which officially merged with Yale in 1945).

Frederick was one of the founders of the Blake School and was active with Northrop Collegiate School and Woodhill Country Club. He was also a director of the Minneapolis Chamber of Commerce, Minneapolis Grain Exchange, First National Bank and First Trust. He served with the U.S. Army during World War I.

Another cousin of the Peavey/Heffelfinger/Wells family, the Rev. Rosalie Heffelfinger Hall, (1928-2007) was an Episcopal priest at Ascension Church in Stillwater, St. Martin’s by the Lake, The Cathedral of Our Merciful Savior in Faribault, the American Episcopal Cathedral in Paris, France, and finally at Saint Mark's Cathedral. She was active as an author and as a member of the Greater Minneapolis Council of Churches representing the diocese of Minnesota.

Sources :

Special Collections, Hennepin County Library
Book of Minnesota Family Trees, by Inez Bergquist
Minneapolis Morning Tribune, August 5, 1953
Saint Mark's Archives and Linda Schelin

Isabella Boise Turner Cooke

(1857-1937)

Cooke Trust

Elbridge C. Cooke Photograph courtesy of Special Collections, Hennepin County Library

Isabella Boise Turner Cooke moved to Minneapolis with her husband Elbridge C. Cooke in 1883, and became a member of Saint Mark's in 1904. She made large bequests to Saint Mark's and Wells Memorial, which at the time was a settlement house. Her obituary mentioned that she was a trustee of Saint Mark's. She supported the endowment fund and the parish house mortgage.

Her estate gave bequests to the Visiting Nurses Association, Episcopal Cathedral Foundation in Washington, D.C., Minneapolis Society of Fine Arts, Diocese of Minnesota, St. Mary’s Hall in Faribault, Wells Memorial House and the Episcopal Church in the U.S.

In Elbridge Cooke’s estate, he left a trust fund, whose disposition after Mrs. Cooke’s death was determined by her. She chose St. Barnabas and Northwestern Hospitals, the Home for Aged Women in Midway St. Paul (which was supported by the Episcopal Church), and St. Mary’s Hall.

The current Cooke Trust at Saint Mark's benefits the Wells Foundation.

The following is her husband Elbridge Clinton Cooke’s (1854-1931) biography from History of Minneapolis, Gateway to the Northwest; Chicago-Minneapolis, The S J Clarke Publishing Co, 1923; Edited by: Rev. Marion Daniel Shutter, D.D., LL.D.:

Elbridge Clinton Cooke, chairman of the board of directors of the Minneapolis Trust Company and formerly for many years an active member of the bar, was born in Tiskilwa, Illinois, October 31, 1854, his parents being Joseph Clarke and Amy (Wade) Cooke. The ancestral line is traced back to an early period in the settlement of New England, the progenitor of the family in America being Walter Cooke, who arrived in the new world in 1647, settling at Weymouth, Massachusetts, the second town established in that state. Joseph C. Cooke was a manufacturer and contractor.

Elbridge C. Cooke, spending his youthful days under the parental roof, mastered the elementary branches of learning taught in the public schools and later continued his education in the Norwich Academy at Norwich, Connecticut. He next matriculated at Yale University and in 1877 won his Bachelor of Arts degree. Having determined upon the practice of law as a life work he then devoted his attention to the mastery of the principles of jurisprudence, was admitted to the bar and opened a law office in Norwich in 1879. In 1881 he was elected city attorney, occupying the position until 1883. The opportunities of the growing west attracted him, however, and he left New England to become a resident of Bismarck, then in the territory of Dakota, practicing also at Mandan. While in Dakota he became a partner of George P. Flannery, now president of the Northwest Trust Company of St. Paul.

It was in the year 1886 that Mr. Cooke came to Minneapolis, where he has made his home through the intervening period of thirty-six years. He engaged in active practice here as a partner of Mr. Flannery for a number of years and in November, 1895, he became associated with the Minneapolis Trust Company as trust officer. Since that time he has held successively the positions of vice president, president and chair­man of the board of directors and is today a distinguished figure in the financial circles of the city. He has also at different periods been connected with other important corporate interests, becoming president of the Minneapolis Trust Company, also president of the Real Estate Title Insurance Company of Minneapolis, treasurer of the North American Telegraph Company and a director of the First National Bank of Minneapolis.

In 1883 Mr. Cooke was united in marriage to Miss Isabella Boies Turner of Norwich, Connecticut, also representing one of the old families of New England. In the club circles of the city his position is one of prominence, his membership extending to the Minneapolis Club, the Minikahda Club, the Lafayette Club and also to the Yale Club of New York and the Hokamde Gun Club.

Elbridge Cooke died in 1931 and Isabella Turner Cooke in 1937.

Sources:

Special Collections, Hennepin County Library
Saint Mark's, by Dorothy Atkinson Rood
Saint Mark's Archives and Linda Schelin

John Van Derlip (1860-1935)

Ethel Morrison Van Derlip (1876-1921)

Van Derlip Trust

John Van Derlip Photograph courtesy of Special Collections, Hennepin County Library

The John Van Derlip Trust was established on the death of John Van Derlip in 1935. Van Derlip was one of the founders of the Minneapolis Society of Fine Arts and a Minneapolis attorney.

Born January 25, 1860 in Dansville, New York, son of John Adams Van Derlip and Anna Day Van Derlip, he attended Dansville Academy and studied law with his father. Admitted to the bar in 1881, he practiced with his father until 1883, when he moved to Minneapolis.

On January 18, 1898, he married Ethel Morrison, the daughter of Julia and Clinton Morrison. Her grandfather, Dorilus Morrison, was the first mayor of Minneapolis. The Morrison family home was 305 E. 24th St. in Minneapolis, near the MIA.

Ethel Morrison Van Derlip Photograph courtesy of Special Collections, Hennepin County Library

John was active as a director of the First National Bank and Trust Co., Minneapolis Trust, and the Joint Stock Land Bank and Equitable Land Association. His nonprofit affiliations were as Vice President of the Minneapolis Foundation and director of the YMCA, St. Mary’s Hall in Faribault, and Minneapolis Symphony. He was a member of the Minikahda Club, Six O’Clock Club, Automobile Club, the Century Association and American Alpine Club of New York.

His major interest was the Minneapolis Society of Fine Arts. The Society was started in 1883 as a holding company for a proposed art museum, art school, theatre, and symphony hall. The first to be started, in 1886, was the Minneapolis School of Arts (now MCAD), and in 1915, the museum was built. Original plans, which did not come to fruition, included a symphony hall. In 1960, the Children’s Theatre was built on the site.

John Van Derlip joined Saint Mark's shortly after moving to Minneapolis in 1883, and he served many years on the vestry and as a warden of Saint Mark's. He became Clerk of the Vestry in 1894, was elected to the vestry in 1898, and was elected Senior Warden in 1928, in which capacity he served until his death in 1935.

John Van Derlip died in 1935, and Ethel in 1921.

The couple bequeathed many gifts of art to the Minneapolis Society of Fine Arts, which at the time included the Institute of Arts and Minneapolis School of Art, now Minneapolis College of Art and Design. (Later the Society also included the Children’s Theatre, and later both the Theatre and School became separate nonprofits).

Ethel Morrison Van Derlip along with her brother, Clinton Morrison, donated the Julia Morrison building in honor of their mother, which housed the first College of Art and Design.

Sources:

Special Collections, Hennepin County Library
Saint Mark's, by Dorothy Atkinson Rood
Joan Olson, Arts Consultant
Their Splendid Legacy by Clinton Morrison
Saint Mark's Cathedral Archives and Linda Schelin

Dorothy Rood’s St. Mark’s (1953) includes the following short remarks on other historic funds and bequests from the following donors:

Lee Fund, from Mary Collis Lee (1810-1875)

Mary was the second wife of William Tully Lee, an incorporator of St. Mark’s Parish and its first Senior Warden.

Lamb Fund, from Charles L. Lamb (1850-1924)

Mr. Lamb was originally from Wilkes-Barre, PA.

Jane Bridge Forman Fund, from Jane Bridge Forman

Jane donated a gift in memory of her husband, Frank William Forman, Junior Warden of Saint Mark's from 1900-1902.

Reeve Benevolence Fund, from Charles McClellan Reeve (1847-1947)

Reeve was a long time Saint Mark's vestryman and lawyer, and first military chief of police in Manila, Philippines, after service in the Spanish-American War. He was a flour miller, bank officer and member of the Minnesota Legislature, as well as secretary of the U.S. Russian Famine Relief Expedition in 1891-92.

Gunson Contribution, from Rebecca Jane Gunson (1848-1939)

Rebecca was a native of England who was received into membership at Saint Mark's in 1922.

Rood’s book, St. Mark’s, comments that Her wish to be numbered among the supporters of the church’s endowment project has been carefully honored by the Trust Funds Committee, which looks upon it as an example worthy of emulation.

Hawkins Residuary Legacy, from Nathan Hawkins (-1932)

Nathan Hawkins was Sexton of Saint Mark's for 24 years (exact years are not known). Rood notes in St. Mark’s, “When this faithful Negro servant died in 1932, he left about $350, proceeds from his life insurance, as a contribution to Saint Mark's endowment resources. He is buried in the church lot in Lakewood Cemetery.”

Ceylon Emery Lyman Bequest, from Ceylon E. Lyman (1849-1934) and Alice Mitchell Lyman (1853-1916)

Lyman was a native of Wisconsin and spent time ranching in Texas before moving to Minnesota, where he was a lumberman. He served on the vestry.

Ceylon Arthur Lyman Bequest, from Ceylon Arthur Lyman (1980-1934)

Mr. Lyman served in the vestry and was superintendent of the church school at the time of his death. There is a memorial carved in the first pillar close to the Gallery Hall for Mr. Lyman.

Charlton Memorial Contribution, from Louise Higgins Charlton

This gift was given by Mrs. Charlton in memory of her father, George Elkanah Higgins, who was a vestry member and was active in the diocese.

Stanley Mitchell Lyman Fund, from Stanley Lyman in 1938

Lyman donated in 1938 to reduce the mortgage on the church. He was a vestry member and Junior Warden.

Ceylon Arthur Lyman Trust Fund, from Mrs. Lyman, (Rosalind Penn-Gaskell Coates)

This fund was donated to Saint Mark's in memory of her husband.

Atkinson Perpetuating Endowment Fund, from Frederick Grant Atkinson

Atkinson gave Saint Mark's this fund in his estate, to be used for restoration of endowment principal depreciated by investment losses.

Ellen Nichols Legacy, from Ellen Amelia Nichols (1848-1938)

Ellen Nichols was a charter member of Grace Church in her hometown of Salem Massachusetts. Dean Frederick Myers Morris of St Mark’s was rector of Grace Church at the time of her death, and she was a sister of the Rev. Harry Peirce Nichols, rector of Saint Mark's from 1982-99. She was an aunt of Margaret Nichols, Mrs. Clarence Morgan Hardenbergh. Mr. and Mrs. Hardenbergh gave Saint Mark's a bequest from her property in her memory.

Harry Peirce Nichols Fund, from Dr. Harry Nichols

Dr. Nichols was rector of Saint Mark's from 1892 to 1899, when he became rector of Holy Trinity Church in New York.

Lee Fund, from William Henry Lee II (1854-1944)

William Henry Lee II was the son of William H. Lee, first organist of Saint Mark's, a founder of the parish, and grandson of William Tully Lee.

Lillian Wilbur Snyder Legacy, from Mr. Snyder (1859-1945)

This bequest is in memory of her husband, Frank Curtis Snyder (1850-1928), brother of Fred Beal Snyder.

McMullen Legacy, from Madeleine Moulton, Mrs. Albert McMullen (1866-1945)

This legacy was from a residue of the estate for both McMullens, to reduce the mortgage on the parish house.

Hall Fund, from Caroline Anna Hall (1838-1918)

Ms. Hall was a benefactor of Wells Memorial, as well as Saint Mark's and daughter of Nathaniel Hall, an early resident of Minneapolis. Her sister was Mrs. John Augustus Christian.

Forman Bequest, from Marguerite Harrison Forman (1862-1949).

Mrs. Forman gave a bequest in honor of her husband, Frank Bridge Forman, who is memorialized in the Ascension Window.

Ellison Residuary Legacy, from James Hollister Ellison (1860-1949)

Ellison was with the engineering firm of Winston Brothers Co. and President of Cedar Lake Ice Co. A member of Saint Mark's vestry, he was the son of Sarah Pond, daughter of Gideon Pond, who came to Minnesota in 1834 with his brother Samuel to do missionary work with the Indians.

Reeve Memorial Fund, from Charles McClellan Reeve

Reeve donated income for Altar flowers in memory of his wife, Christine Lawrence Reeve, and two children who died in infancy.

Leonora Snyder Fund, from Fred Beal Snyder

Mr. Snyder donated money to the Altar Guild to provide flowers in memory of his wife, Leonora Stuart Dickson Snyder.

Fowler Fund, from Charles Rollin Fowler (1859-1950)

Mr. Fowler’s gift was in memory of his wife, Caroline Blair Jones Fowler. He was in the Minnesota Legislature, director of Northwestern Hospital and Women’s Welfare League. Rood remarks in Saint Mark's, “They were not confirmed members of St. Mark’s, but always considered themselves members of the congregation.”

Luce Fund, from Hazel Brown, Mrs. Erle David Luce (1884-1950)

This gift from Mrs. Luce was in memory of her son, William L. Luce.

Pierce Bequest, from Ina Pierce (1881-1951)

Ms. Pierce was a teacher who entered the congregation from Dayton, Ohio, in 1920, and was a member of the Fortnightly Club.

The Book of Remembrance at Saint Mark's records the names of all persons who have made memorial gifts to Saint Mark's Cathedral.

The assistance of Ted Hathaway and Bailey Diers of Special Collections at the Central Hennepin County Library, Saint Markan David Christopherson, and Linda Schelin of the Saint Mark's Archives in researching the history of this article is gratefully acknowledged.

February 2016